Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Out with the new and in with the new-er

This topic stirred up some controversy in our home, and what my buggy’s real purpose is and how it fits into the rand scheme of our family’s future. I have decided to replace my wood floors. They’re just getting so old and worn out. Ok, ok, ok- so they’re band new and I’ve never driven the car since they were installed a year and a half ago, but a better opportunity has presented itself. A friend that works for 3form hooked me up with some architectural grade translucent panels. In lame mans terms I am going to install a semi-transparent floor in my car. Wicked cool huh? I always worried about the durability of the wood floor, but didn’t really have many other options. Now I'll be able to hose down the interior of my car.

As far as physical progress goes it might appear to an outsider that nothing has happened, but don't be fooled by the fact that the car is still in pieces- I have been hard at work. I have nearly completed the wiring of the car. I decided to run all of my wiring through the side rails of the fiberglass body. This way I can do all of it with me right side up, over it, instead of me upside down, under it. I have also fiber glassed in the side rails to create waterproof speaker enclosures (the resonating chambers are a little too large for six and a half inch speaker, if upgrade to some 6x9’s then I think I'd be right on the money). I have rebuilt portions of my engine for a second time, re-tapped one of my spark plug holes, and installed a new exhaust.
After all of this work I am happy to announce that my car officially idles- roughly, but none-the-less idles. it runs under its own power, and this is the first time I can say that it will do it without any external input from me to keep it going.



Its amazing how a little paint, chrome, and engine degreaser can make an engine look brand new.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh...I'm so excited to see it! I've always wondered what it would be like to drive/fly/boat (is that a verb?) where I could see beneath me. Super excited.

    ReplyDelete