Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Library of Carnage

So it appears that a spelling error made it past the final printing proof. I think this was due to the fact that "Carnegie" was not in the spell check engine and I accidentally replaced it with "carnage". Given a choice where this would happen, I would have hidden it in the history summery somewhere, but no, in big bold letters the spelling error occurred in the first boards title block- "SMITHFIELD CARNAGE LIBRARY".

Side Note: The judges must not have noticed. We took second place and won $100. Not bad for a couple of days of work considering we were competing against master thesies and doctoral dissertations.

...And Mellanee, to answer your question, since we could never match the original structure it leaves us with a couple of options. After much discussion, I think we will end up trying to create a Frank Lloyd Wright style addition that complements the original structure; something similar to the picture, but brick and more windows. The specific FLW style of the original building doesn't lend itself to multistory large picture windows, since this is a modern library, that's the hardest thing to incorporate into the architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment