Saturday, August 30, 2008

An Interior Designer's Spiritual Experience... At The D.I.

Tonight I had an experience that was beyond coincidence- it was borderline spiritual. It had been a rough day- working on my parents house all morning and afternoon. All day I was looking forward to a night with friends at a nearby lake. However, after all the work on the house, Tara became tired and....grumpy. We ended up not going to the lake and just driving home to Logan. In an effort to cheer me up, Tara took me to DI (a place that I see endless amounts of potential for a very small price). After rummaging through the store without much luck and on our way out, Tara pointed out a small sewing table. Knowing that we already had a similar table, that we had just finished painting, I commented "wouldn't it be perfect if we found another table just like it so we could use them as side tables in our bedroom" After a few moments of admiring its design and price Tara said "Theres one with similar handles down there". I realized it had more than similar handles- it was the exact same sowing machine table in just a different color.

The table we saw first with the second in the background
.
So fifty dollars later we were on our way home. I couldn't believe it. It was meant to be. The chance that out of thousands of choices, two different people would choose the same table forty+ years ago and then not just donate them within days (maybe hours) of each other, but also do so in a close enough geographical location that they would both be put on the display floor close enough to the time we arrived that neither one could be purchased before we would get them.


Our two new tables next to the table we just finished.
Before I finish I thought I would tell you a neat little fact about French design history and the parallels it has in our life. Gabe feel free to correct me. Our first table you see in the picture above has a slight Cabriole leg (the curvy part of the front legs); found in the "Rococo" period (Louis the fifteenth). The legs are actually closer to transitional period (the "Regent" period), but for this discussion Rococo is close enough. Then came along Louis the sixteenth and he decided that he liked straighter neater lines. so all French furniture moved to a neo-classical style. This is the style of our new tables.
If you have not picked up on the Parallel, it is that we are like the French. Our design tastes were first soft and fluid, and then became more exact and demanding. What does this mean for our future? will I soon find myself yearning for the occasional bagget? Will I have this uncontrollable desire to build a the worlds largest Triangle? Or Perhaps, I can look forward to a grueling government issued 35 hour work week.
I dont know? I just thought you would like to know what goes on in my head sometimes.
we put up a poll to see what color everyone thinks we should paint our new tables. you can see them as they will be placed in our bedroom.

6 comments:

  1. LOVE those tables Addy!! Seriously, they're gorgeous. Also, love the room! Congrats, that really is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you and Gabe the same person????!!!! Your post is like deja vu! I have to admit that finding the tables is quite the coincidence, but the fact that you and Gabe are twinners in such a unique and odd way has to be something more. Adam, Gabe is celebrating your find as if he experienced it himself. Tara, I am so grateful that we have each other to relate to when our husbands just about seize over furniture finds...I don't think I'll ever quite understand it, and I trust you won't either. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure your history is better than mine so I won't be the one to tell you that you're wrong. I will, however, be the one to tell you that you made a killer find and that the design gods are smiling down on you. you're just lucky that I wasn't there to swoop in and get them before you could, like with the eames lounge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your tables! I say paint them black or red, but then again I also wanted an aquarium theme, with a live fish in a bowl on top of our toilet tank in our newly remodeled orange bathroom, that is until Adam helped me see the error of my tacky ways, so maybe you shouldn't paint them black or red.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey this is Tiff and Whit from the ward. I found your link and wanted to say hi! I love this pictures of your house, it's really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude. You are so awesome. You need to come help me.

    ReplyDelete