Thursday, August 27, 2009

Classic

This past Tuesday, early in the morning my wonderful Grandfather passed away. Adam and I are heading to California this weekend to attend his memorial service and visit with family. With the chaos of school starting, feeling the effects a being pregnant (I can't seem to sleep enough!) and grandpa passing, I have little time, or energy, to think about much else.

However, I mentioned earlier in this blog that I had started recording my Grandpa's personal history and thought, in memory of him, I'd share a few of my favorite moments during our interview (T=Tara, P=Patrick)

T: What’s the best part of being a parent? The grandchildren?

P: Yeah. Really, that is true. I have to admit it. Oh, they’re great. Most of them are! I am partial, I admit it, and I know it. I love little girls and they can wrap me right around their little finger, where my grandsons I’ll correct them and give them a little royal chewing once in a while.
******

T: Ok, I think that’s it. Is there anything else you want to share about parenthood?

P: No. I like being a parent, believe it or not. I don’t act like it, but I do.

T: And a grandfather, and a great-grandfather.

P: Oh, that’s the great part.

******

T: Do you have a favorite television program, or a few?

P: I have enjoyed over the time, “24.” I thought that was well done. Last year wasn’t as good, but … Um…

T: You like the political shows.

P: Oh, yes, you mean things like that? I like Bill O’Riley. I try to watch him all the time, or I’ll tape him and watch him later. Sean Hannity is ok, but Bill O’Riley is very good.

T: I think either Hannity or Combes looks like a dinosaur.

P: That’s Combes. Hannity is a nice looking guy.

T: Combes looks funny though.

P: Well, yeah. God beasted him with a funny look, and then he’s a flaming liberal, so that twisted his features, too.



I'll definitely miss his humor.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather passing away, Tara. My grandma passed away earlier this month and it sure has been a roller coaster. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry! I had no clue! Let me or matt know if you need ANYTHING! And, yes you sleep alot at the beginning... oh and the end...what the heck, the entire pregnancy for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. He sounds like he was one of a kind. I really enjoyed reading the excerpts from your conversation with him and am so glad you got the opportunity to go record his history. Good luck at the funeral and just know again how sorry we are. It is so hard to lose a grandparent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry Tara. You and your family will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete