Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The D.I. Strikes again!!!

Lately we have had a problem with our sweet little puppy getting up in the middle of the night and urinating on the corner of our bed. We went through 4 comforters in 4 days. Well upon carefully deliberation I announced that the dog was finally going to be rid from my bed!!! Soon he would be sleeping in a child’s travel play crib. Tara wasn’t to keen on the idea at first, but when... blah blah blah, sorry I am getting side tracked.
Back to the DI

Trip one:
We needed a child’s play crib. I arrived at the DI and knowing that the furniture section was coming into view I averted my eyes downward until clear of all wood working and upholstery creations (we didn’t need any more sowing tables). Tonight I would win and get what I came for and nothing... ahhhh, crap! "Those have got to be the coolest lights I have ever seen" I said louder than I realized, as everyone starred at the weirdo, starring at the old stage lights. It’s exactly what I had been looking for... ahhhh, crap! $350 for 5 of them. There are two big problems with this: one, I only needed one, and two, why in the hell is something at the DI 350 dollars?

At this point I hung my head low and looked for a crib. I found nothing and sulked out of the store. In Tara's mind I was successful by returning with nothing (remember she wants the dog in our bed, in some ways that makes her the enemy (all with love hun)).

Trip Two:
The next day we went by the DI again knowing that more trips increase our chance of finding a crib, and the closer those trip are together increases my chances of getting the dog out of my bed sooner; I headed straight to the back. With a one crib mind I passed... ooooooohhh, one of the lights is gone and they are selling them separately now... Ahhhh, crap. They still cost $75. One crib mind, and off I went.
Costco Juvenile Crib - Cha-Ching!

Things looked good, but this is when things got hairy.(moment for introspection) You know in life where it seems like you have “enough”, but then you think you don’t have “enough”. When I got home I started to feel guilty for not buying my dream light. Tara in all her infinite wisdom tells me” just go get it, or you will never forgive yourself.” “well, if you insist" I enthusiastically replied.

Trip Three:
I confidently strut to the back of the store to get my shiny new light. I round the corner and... Ahhhh, crap! They are gone! Tara was right, I felt like crap and I planned on never forgiving myself. I thought that I would just ask to see if they had been moved or something. I tapped my mentally handicapped sales man (handicap opinion: based partially on mannerisms, mostly on stereotype) on his shoulder because he wouldn’t respond when I called him by name. He told me that all but two were sold and gone, and the two to be sold had been moved to the back for purchase pickup. He also told me the purchasees were on the floor looking at clothes before checking out. After a long chat with my new lighting connoisseurs, and some serious talk about life and the mysteries of the universe I got the man to agree to let me buy one of the lights. Seriously though, if someone had tried to talk me out of one of my sowing tables, I don’t know what I would do; I would’ve probably punched him in the throat. Now here I am with a cool new DI light and a shiny new DI story.


Alright, on to my cool new light!

It might seem ruff around the edges, but there is potential in there. If only I can figure out how to get it out?

How do you know what you have unless you take it apart and find and every last item?


Have you ever seen a light bulb as big as your head (please comment on poll)? for all you techies out there: this is a 2000w light bulb. I replaced it with a 60w light bulb (mostly because I didn't want to start a wall fire by overloading my electrical, and the occasional feeling that aliens were beaming me out my window when I entered my living room). that is a 97% power reduction, or in other words: I would need another 33 60w bulbs to make up the lost power! If I had used a 13w CFL (60w incandescent equivalent) I would have needed over 150 bulbs to equal power consumption.
off to the paint shop it goes. AKA: my garage.


Tada! a little paint and stripper (chemical not Tara) have made me a very happy person


For all you that haven't seen a picture of our living room. my sweet light in the corner, our new sectional, our previously white DI console table with new fabric panels, Ikea as-is section hanging lamp, DI paintings, our awesome 9x12 $50 rug, $20 pier1 bar stool, and how can we forget our high class, high style walmat tables.

12 comments:

  1. Adam, that light is awesome, and so are you. I wish we had D.I. here. Goodwill is just not as good...will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, Addy! Love the light. Also, thank you for the clarification on the stripper. So glad to hear times are not THAT tough... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you guys have done an awesome job on your house. Adam, you have an amazing eye for things. Every time we go to the DI we never find anything. I guess we simply don't have to still you guys have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure stripper tara makes you happy at times too though, Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go on the light and the room looks great! We are gonna have to get some good DI shopping tips from ya! It was really fun to finally meet you guys the other night! I hope we get to hang out more! visit us at HeatherandKeith.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright adam, that light is completely bad ass. Please excuse my language but after being in an office full of people who describe things as being "fabulous" or "sooo pretty" or "super sheik", i'm feeling the need to assert my sexual preference by using terms like "bad ass". But seriously, it's awesome and I'm shocked that you walked out of the DI without one as many times as you did. And equally shocked that the guy gave one up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I am reading your blog, I am thinking, "how are we ever going to find friends half as hilarious and awesome as Adam & Tara?" My conclusion is that we never will:( We miss you guys so much!!!...congrats on the find! We are both very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story! Especially since you actually found what you wanted there! I wish I had better luck with D.I. myself! :o) Your living room looks GREAT! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The light is very cool, but the sectional - there are no words....it has to be the most gorgeous sectional I have ever seen. Your place is so classy and cool. I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reece was inspired by your D.I. finds, so he has been dragging me to every D.I. we can find, including the Logan store (he thought we'd get lucky there). Maybe we should hire you to be our D.I. treasure hunter, because all we found was a used bra.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You tell a good story Adam! I dig your guys' living room! What are the pictures of on the walls? I miss you Tara!

    ReplyDelete