Thursday, October 23, 2008

Today I Fell

Today I fell. I "Bomb" old main (a big hill located on the west side of our campus, google it) on average about 10 times a week. This isn't the first time I have fallen on my long board recently, but it is the first time that I fell on old main this fall. You can't normally ride your long board in grass, but if its steep enough anything is possible.
So if you don't know the trick, it is to get some speed and try and coast over the crest to the steep stuff before you stop from the resistance of the 6" mushy grass against your 2" wheels. If you stop, you cannot restart, think: go-to-jail card in monopoly. Once your over the crest you start to gain speed and your wheels kind of rise, almost plane over the mushy ground. As you gain more speed then you have ever experienced in your life on four unmotorized wheels you throw on a diaper and try to remember where the pot holes are in accordance to the trees (tree definitely being the worse of the two). As the hill starts to level out, your speed drops, your wheels start to grab, and then you dramatically slow to a stop. This is a daily ritual for me and I was quite impressed that I had mastered it.
Well, they stopped watering old main about three weeks ago and now that "mushy" ground is becoming hard and very unresistive (new word I just created, try using it before the day is out). Needless to say it is a lot faster. what normally was a coast to the hill is more of a speeding up, and then once your on the hill its kind of like riding a rocket ship, and then when the hill levels and and you stop... well that part doesn't happen unless you take drastic actions to not end up in the road. Its all quite entertaining. so...
Today I fell. I Bombed old main, and in a foolish attempt to control my speed I tried to turn at maximum velocity. To put it in monopoly terms: I threw the playing board against the wall and right as it was about to hit the ground I jumped on it and road it like a sled, but less board riding and more Levi and sweater grinding.

... and that's just the parts that you can see. thank goodness for grass stain fighting laundry detergent



Ah, the old Spoon. Jesse and I built this long board a couple summers back from plywood and spare parts. its seen better days, but it still gets the job done. some of the bolts on one of the wheels are starting to come out. this worries me, but unfortunately not enough to do anything about it.

6 comments:

  1. I remember when you and Jesse built the old spoon and if I recall correctly, I said something to the effect of, "you're going to kill yourself on that thing". I think that day is fast approaching and you seem completely "unresistive" of your impending demise.
    Well, it was a stretch but I used the word of the day before my time ran out. did I use it properly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Addy. Why are you so cool? It would be alot easier to live far away if all my ol' buddies were losers.
    And I'm glad you just got grass stains instead of a broken neck. Because, well, that would have sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock! I laughed so hard imagining you long boarding! I am assuming you will be down for this lovely holiday season, I need to give you your jacket back. Tara please help us both remember!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tara and Adam! Happy to see your faces in the blog world. Hope all is well amongst the utards.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should consider yourself a professional blogger. I always look forward to reading your comments...what were you thinking riding old main?? I thought that privilege was maintained for naive freshmen. Are you trying to revisit the glory days?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tara, I forgot to ask you if you got my email about the scentsy party. anyway hope you can come!

    ReplyDelete