Tara and I have recently been wanting a new headboard. Ok, I’ve been wanting a new headboard. Ever since I moved our old one into my studio space as a tack board for my drafting desk I’ve been itching for a new, even greater crown for our bed. After recently visiting Mikell at 3-form I concocted a grand vision. So here it is-

I decided I wanted something substantial and easily assembled. I decided on 4x6 posts, and one single lag bolt in each corner. 4 boards, 4 screws, does it get any simpler than that?

The most expensive thing I needed to purchase wasn’t actually materials, it was tools. This drill bit set me back a pretty penny, but it was key to getting my 10” bolts straight through both pieces.

After measuring twice and drilling once I needed to route a 1 ½ “slot into each side for 3-form to slide into. I did this by simply setting my circular saw depth to 1 ½ “deep and moving very carefully along a dotted line. This worked much better than I thought it would. It was one of those ideas where you think to yourself “I should really be using a tool designed for this and if it works it will be a miracle. “

Finally assembled and getting its second coat of poly. Here you can see the 3-form that I picked up. You can also see some of the guts from a florescent light that I hope to install at the bottom of the headboard. I’m hoping that it will create a nice ambiance (ahm-be-aunse) mood instead of a “dude, why did you put a hospital light under your bed?” reaction.
You wont have to wait too long. more to come very soon!
UPDATE:
If you previously read the first portion then you are eagerly awaiting the continuation and conclusion. If you just joined us then try to read the next part with the pent up excitement that would come from the anticipation of only reading half and being forced to wait.
As you read above about my circular saw miracle I would like to make a correction to that statement. I should have tested, not just measured, to see if it would fit, uhmm, because it didn’t. So as you can see below I have gotten out the old Crisco, I have found in my personal life that lubrication can go a long way. Out in the garage I use the old saying that goes “nothn’ a little grease can’t fix.” After loading up handfuls of Crisco and using a spatula to get it down it the groves I gave up. I resorted back to the garage (around 12:00AM) to cut a second line right next to the old one to widen the track.

Above: this is the backside of the finished head board with the lights installed. Even though most of the head board would not be visible it was less work just to build it as a giant square, actually a perfect 5’x5’ square, if you were wondering.
Below you will see the finished product. If you think it looks cool with the side lights on; you should see it with them off. Its super sweet. Unfortunately there is not enough light for my camera to capture a picture.
We have twinner headboards! Mikell gave us a huge piece of 3-form as well! It's sweet to have that hook-up. Your headboard is beautiful. It fits perfectly with your room!
ReplyDeleteI am so jealous...you want to do one for our bed?
ReplyDeleteAdam, you're such a champ. That looks awesome!
ReplyDeleteThat is freaking awesome!!! The word freaking doesn't even fully emphasize how cool it is, but I thought it might help give you an idea of how much I like it!
ReplyDeletethis is awesome adam! good use of 3-form scraps! my favorite is oliver on the bed all tuckered out -- so cute.
ReplyDelete