After getting into work, I sat down to check my email and found this pretty little thing:
DEGREES AWARDED - BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITYIt's an official email from BYU stating that I had graduated. I graduated college. I graduated college. I. cannot. believe. it.
DEGREE : BA
DATE RECEIVED : Dec 2008
DEPARTMENT : English
MAJOR : English
I calmed down, took a deep breath and I realized that I did earn that degree. Oh the endless hours of religion classes, and know-it-all RM's (that's lingo for Return Missionaries, just incase you didn't know). The many days of Shakespeare where my teacher related King Lear to Christ. Sitting two rows away from President Hinckley at a building dedication. Meeting David McCullough and asking him a question. Hearing Ken Burns speak. Mint Chocolate brownies and chocolate milk. Meeting some of my closest friends freshman year. Reading endless amounts of novels and only disliking one: James Joyce's Dubliners. Falling in love with Jane Austin (cliche I know), William Blake, Charlotte Perkins Gillman, Mark Doty, Muriel Ruckeyser, Greek and Roman literature and the list goes on and on.
Don't forget the lovely BYU slang as well (it's pertinent to know if you want to fit in):
DTR: Determine the Relationship
EC: Eternal Companion
FHE: Family Home Evening
"S": Sex (my least favorite one)
One of my all time favorite moments at BYU: Jenn (my roommate) and I were headed to our first class of our first semester at BYU. We decided to stop and buy ice cream (we liked to treat ourselves before we earn it) with our sweet meal plan cards. While trying to decide on a flavor, we noticed these two cute, ahem older, guys looking at us. Being a dumb freshman I said, "Hey guys, want some ice cream?" They nodded their heads and started walking over. Jenn proceeded to squeeze my hand as we squealed with delight.
"Hey, I'm Daniel and this is Todd. Uh, we'll each have two scoops of cookie dough. Thanks girls"
And they walked off. We hadn't even finished squealing and the moment was over. Reality sat back in and we realized that they didn't want us, they just wanted our meal plan card. However, later on in the year, I learned the power of the meal plan as a barganing tool, never again giving out ice cream for free to the cute, older guys.
And now that I have an official English Degree, I don't have to banter back and forth. I can just declare that "hermity" is a word, because I said so.
I am very proud of you Tara!! What an accomplishment to get a BA and from such a well known university! I am sure this is just the first of many successes. Just remember where you learned it all: Ms.Olson. How lucky were we to have such an idol? hahaha!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! But a word of warning: now you have to be an adult, which is scary as H-E-doublehockeysticks. Just don't get yourself knocked up. That's all I will say :)
ReplyDeleteyou didnt like dubliners? thats just sad. so we read a narrow fellow in the grass by emily dickenson in my english class, and my prof declared the snake as a phallic symbol. the class stared at him blankly. a girl giggled. silence ... then he says "well, moving on." it was wierd.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on graduating!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Tara!! You are a part of the real world now!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on making it through the BYU b.s. and hermity, for your information, is not a word. Just because you are a college grad doesn't mean you can go around making up new words.
ReplyDeletep.s.- I hope you all enjoyed the "BYU b.s." pun
Yeah...it must feel fantastic to be finished. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteOh MY GOSH! It is finally over for you!!! well... your undergraduate. I am so happy for you! My friend is taking that poetry class that you took from Maria and she is reading the poems that Sowder (I think that is her husnad??? I cant remember his name?) wrote about Sinor. haha! I died... just like I did the first time I read that poem. The second death was just as hilarious. We need to get together before the semester is over and I move to Salt Lake. I miss you!
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS!!!! Isn't it the best feeling ever! Now go write books with your fancy English degree! (:
ReplyDelete