Saturday, January 3, 2009

The (Paper) Monkey Hunter

So this last semester I had only generals, and toward the end of it I started to get kind of antsy. It felt as though my creative juices were being siphoned off by the patron saint of boring school work. When, to my surprise, my English class was told that we could basically do whatever we wanted on our final presentation. In this presentation I was to convey in some way, some part of a class book that I was supposed be reading (supposed = didn't) the entire semester.


Being the most senior person in the class, and one of three that were not freshmen I decided to show these underclassmen that A’s don’t come from writing in English class, but merely from making your English teacher feel as though your learning from his outlandish teaching style. If these students were really attentive to my lessons they would have learned this can apply to all teachers. With comments like “can you explain that like you explained the other thing, I understood that much better” or “Coach, I don’t agree with that” “with what Adam” “with what you’re talking about now of course, or I would have commented earlier”. Try using terms like coach instead of teacher or professor. They have a much warmer embodied meaning and will surely make your teacher cry at some point for having the opportunities to teach such receptive peers. Generic comments and titles like these are golden and surely got me the A, I in no way deserved.


Reflecting upon how I had made it through all of college without writing a single paper I decided why start now in English class? Instead of writing an essay or putting together some research something or other for my final project I decided to make a movie. Get back to my good old design roots, if you know what I mean. Best of all, English teachers have a hard time grading things they don’t understand (like complex computer programs). If you want the bonus points you tell them it was all possible because of them. Then it starts a brew’n in their heads “wow! I really am a good teacher, I was able to teach that student to make a movie in a program I know nothing about. He did all that cool stuff I haven’t a clue about and it turned out amazing. That probably makes me the best teacher ever.” In turn you become the best student in his class, and the best part about it --you in no way achieved a single class goal. So this is it; an African folk tale told in the book I read, or the book I was supposed to read. It really is strange.

6 comments:

  1. so, you just think you have it all figured out don't you. Maybe sometime you could teach me how to bamboozle my teachers like you. the video is great though, in a weird creepy kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I cannot believe you did not have to write even 1 paper - are you really serious? So your video was so cool and I am in awe of your many talents. Your movie was strange enough to make me want to go and read the book to find out why the monkey said what he did, what did it mean and was it true - did his father or mother really die? Do you know the answer so you can put me out of my misery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha Alicia. It was some weird parable they taught the little children in Africa. Apparently the Elder said he's shoot the monkey and sacrifice is mother so no one else would have to suffer from the monkey! Weird story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no, no, Tara has it all wrong. The elder never gives an answer. He gathers all of the children and parents, tells the story, and then in the presence of their parent the elder makes the children say what they would do. It’s a quality family building exercise... but the writer of the story does say he would shoot the monkey at his mother expense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ol' monkey was just messin' around.

    But that video is pretty much amazing.

    And the music? Brought me to tears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would just kill the monkey. Since the monkey can talk it's obviouse that the monkey was contamanated with radioactive material and started thinking that he could kill someone while being dead. lol

    ReplyDelete