Thursday, February 12, 2009


Today we got some bad news. As you may all know I have applied to graduate school at ASU.
First off: I have not found out yet whether or not I will be getting in or not.
The news we received was about the school and it is not good news. Yesterday we found out that ASU will not be contacting us until the beginning of April to announce the acceptance of new graduate students. That was a bummer, but today we found out why, and that’s a major bummer. Here are parts out of an article in the Arizona Republic:
Arizona State University President Michael Crow on Tuesday announced sweeping cuts that will cap enrollment, shut down four dozen academic programs, scale back operations at its Polytechnic and West campuses, and close applications to next year's freshman class five months earlier than planned.”
More specifically they talk about the Tempe campus where my program resides:
“Tempe campus: The engineering school will reduce the number of departments from 10 to six; the clinical-laboratory-sciences program will be closed; the W.P. Carey School's sports-business-specialization MBA will not be offered after the 2009-10 academic year; and more than 30 other graduate-degree programs will be eliminated.”
This does not specifically say my program, so I will still keep my hopes up.
On a lighter note Tara’s diploma arrived in the mail today, so now we know that the email we received about her graduating wasn’t a phishing scam.

4 comments:

  1. hey, dont worry about ASU. they talk big cuts, but I dont know if it'll happen. plus, one thing about ASU, tuition is gunna go up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to move down here! Forget ASU, go to ITT Tech or something. Kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One mans bad news is another's great news! Sorry guys, but we are selfish and we want you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry friends but I'm not that sad about ASU possibly losing you.

    ReplyDelete