When Adam asked me to marry him there were a few strings attached, one of them being that I had to move to Logan, Utah. I don't consider my home town of Ahwatukee to be a huge city but compared to Logan, it's a thriving metropolis. Logan is a quiet town where the livestock outweigh the people and I've come to accept that. While getting used to the small town, Adam's friend Gabe (who is also an Interior Designer) and his wife, Brooke, invited us out one night, knowing that my only friend was Oliver. Since then, we have been close friends. They truly helped me learn to enjoy Logan, mostly because they would constantly express their love for the small town. However... one day they told us they had decided to move to NEW YORK because Gabe had been offered a design job. I was happy for them and their want of a big city but what the?! My only two friends were moving across the country and I was supposed to be ok with it.
Last summer, we bit the bullet and decided to forget saving our money and planning for the future... we were going to NY for a whole week and we deserved it.Eleven months passed and we finally got to see them again. Our trip was amazing. Being that Adam lived in NY two years ago for an internship the summer before we got married, I was able to choose and do whatever I wanted (which included a lot of walking and shopping). At nights after our long touristy days (work days for Gabe and Brooke) we would sit on their couch, watch TVO'd (is that how you write it?) shows and talk, just like we were back in Logan. Adam and Gabe played against each other on a computer card game, while Brooke and I watched episodes of The Housewives of NYC.
Here are some pictures that don't do the trip justice:
(Please forgive me. I did wear different clothes every day and I didn't mean to match my purse with my jacket and scarf, it just happened!)
In Central Park on our walk to the Natural History Museum (which was partially closed for the filming of Ugly Betty. Adam was pretty upset he didn't get to see the dinosaurs).
In Times Square with Gabe

Rockefeller Center and a flowered horse

Adam playing Lego Star Wars in the Mac Store and Visiting FAO Schwartz where you can make your own Muppet! (for the small price of $130) The picture is a little blurry... the Muppet Maker had some pretty shaky hands.
This is what happens to Adam after too much shopping (if you can see, I'm still perusing in the background, ignoring him). The other picture is us on the subway eating the most heavenly cake I've ever had from Magnolia Bakery. If you go to NY, you have to stop there. It's worth every penny and pound.

We stopped by Gabe's office (who works for designer Jamie Drake) and I found Adam sitting just like this on the couch. Quite the designer pose, no? I realized halfway through the trip that we weren't taking any photos and that we didn't have a photo of Brooke. This is after having the best pizza in Brooklyn... we're a little giddy after eating 3.... more like 4 slices about the size of our heads.
One of the best moments of the trip happened while we were riding the subway home after a long day. Adam and Gabe spotted an ad in the subway car and began to discuss it. Here's what Brooke wrote on her blog (with a little editing since this is a family friendly blog):
"Tara and I were chatting away on the subway when we notice the boys have been giggling really hard. We start listening in to their conversation and realize that they were unsatisfied with the "1-866-866-MALE" as being the phone number for an impotence advertisement. Here were some of their ideas...1-866-MY-SHAME, 1-866-NOT-HARD....boys will be boys."
And the picture:

Throughout the trip I kept begging Adam to let us live in NY for just a little while. He won't give in. I'll get him out of this small town if it kills me.
Hooray for NYC! I am so glad that you had a good time. I ADORE that city. I propose you take a break from Logan and enjoy the equally (ok, not EQUALLY) cool city of Salt Lake so we can do some serious shopping.
ReplyDeleteWe had such a good time with you guys and we miss you already. And don't pretend like you don't love Logan because I know you do.
ReplyDeleteYou guys were the easiest going guests we will ever have!! We miss you so much...if you want you can just come live with us for awhile. You might get sick of the air mattress but we could log in some quality time with the Real Housewives and we could probably invest in HBO...
ReplyDeleteYour trip sounds so fun! Great post, I felt like I was there! I love the flowered horse! I also like Adam's designer pose! Very sheik! (Is that a designer word?)
ReplyDeleteI heart NYC!!! I am glad that you guys had such a fun time--you two deserve a break! Tara, I think you deserve to live in NYC or wherever you want after living in Logan! Can't wait to see you in May!
ReplyDelete