Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Don't ask me what I'm doing to do with it...

In the past six months, Adam and I have found ourselves constantly having to make the "grown up" decisions. Most decisions were based on school, where should Adam apply, where should Adam actually go? Where will we live? Do we buy a house? Should we keep renting? When do we decide to start a family? We were getting really sick of having to make decisions that we felt would impact our educational, working, familial and financial future. Finally after deciding that Adam would attend USU for a 2 year masters program, we decided that we'd stay in the house we're in and keep renting (mostly because the thought of moving again almost brought me to tears). I thought we were home free. Well, Adam was home free but apparently, subconsciously, I like to be stressed out by decisions weighing over my head. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

While Adam was making his decisions about grad school, I was constantly being asked if I was going to get a masters as well. I'd laugh and say, "Oh I might but I want Adam to finish his schooling first." When realistically, I wouldn't mind going back to school. After a few nudges from Adam and family, I decided to apply for the American Studies/Folklore program at USU.

I had 30 days to get all of my transcripts, MAT/GRE scores, recommendation letters and writing samples turned in. It was a mad dash but somehow (a miracle) it all came together and then I sat. And sat. And sat. Everything had been turned in for weeks. I was getting anxious, telling myself that I'd be OK with either decision... I just needed a decision to relieve my nerves.

Yesterday I found out I was accepted. It's still sinking in, I'm still asking myself if I really want to put in another 2- 2 1/2 years of schooling, part time jobs and constant stress. I'm excited. Really, really excited. But, don't ask me what I plan to do with an Bachelors of English and a Masters in Folklore. I haven't gotten that far yet.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats miss smarty pants! I say you should go for it. You might regret it if you don't. And think of the fabulous bedtime stories you'll have on hand, when the kiddies start coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Tara, I am so embarrassed I didn't even know you were applying. I feel like the worst friend ever...but I am so excited for you! Wow you've got a lot to think about...I'll call you soon. Congrats girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Tara!!! We can't wait to see you tomorrow and we are so excited that you got into the masters program!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, congrats! I'm very impressed and slightly jealous. I think that would be a really fun subject! And I agree, it will result in great bedtime stories! :)

    Plus, you LOVE USU, right?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um... that is pretty much the freaking awesomest thing I have ever heard. You go, dude. You go. And I'm sure you'll find something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATULATIONS, TARA!! So excited for you!!! You have such a drive when it comes to school work and I envy that about you!! I hope you do well and that it is an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once upon a time there was a girl named Tara, who applied to the Master's Program for folklore. She got in, and everyone was happy for her, and then everyone she knew almost got eaten by a pack of hungry wolves, but she saved them. The End!
    Is that a good folklore story or what!
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! That is awesome that you got into the masters program! You will find some way to use it, Im sure!

    ReplyDelete