This is going to be a long one, but a good one. I think it will really show some insight to how my brain functions. I’ll start off with a little bit of background. Tuesday afternoon I walked over to the Student center for some lunch. I sat down with my breadsticks and grapefruit juice (brain food) and when I had almost finished eating I saw my sociology teach sit down at a booth by himself. As I finished up I kept thinking to myself “I should go sit by him, and talk. If I curve the conversation the right way, maybe it will come up that I got 100% on the last test and he will tell me that I am a great enough student that I should just forget about taking the final because he would prefer to just go ahead and give me an A”. Truly, no joke, I was thinking that this could work. In my mind this was a completely rational thought process, but I had one problem- my food was gone, I couldn’t just go sit by him to sit by him. So I got up, and headed to the trash. While I was throwing away my trash I decided that this could actually work.
I proceeded to the checkout and bought an orange for the sole purpose of having a reason to stay. I told you this would be long, and I am only getting started. I figured this would give me the perfect amount of time to “talk”. I went over there and asked him if that seat was taken, and sat down. I proceeded to kiss butt. I told him how much I had enjoyed the class, and how students don’t get the opportunity very often to have a teacher that is so knowledgeable and passionate about teaching- bla, bla, bla. I will refer you back to a previous blog entree about doing this efficiently. I asked if most of the students were doing well, trying to find a place where I could bring up my grades. He said they were all doing fine, and thanked me for showing my concerns for the students welfare. Intermittent with taking bites of his burrito he told me that students don’t have the respect that they use to for teachers and me coming and sitting by him meant a lot to him. Soon his burrito was gone, my conversation orange was exhausted, and he was wishing me good luck on the test. As we parted ways the first thing that came to my mind was “Damn, that backfired” (sorry about the cursing. since this is uncensored commentary from my mind, you get to hear the things not even Tara hers me say). I was glad I tried though, I would have wondered all day if I had “The Power.”
Ok-Fast forward to today. All day I have been super busy helping with Interior Design finals, getting teachers stuff onto blackboard, and organizing final projects. It was around 2:45 and I was walking to the testing center to drop off some scan-trons when I started to reflect on how my own finals were going. I had only taken two so far. My first exam, Math, I only needed 45% on it to hit my target grade; with no studying I got 61%. You know what I say “if you don’t shoot very high, then there is just that much less distance to fall”. Then on my second exam, Natural Disasters, I didn’t even calculate how much I needed for that one. With no studying I got 83%. You know, I had a 4.0 last semester, isn’t it amazing how fast I let go of my personal standards? Then I was thinking about how my Sociology final was going to go “when was that final again, oh yeah Thursday @ 11:30… SHIT!-SH…” from here on out I think it would be better if I censored this one.
After one of his previous tests in his class he commented on how one of his 100% students didn’t pick up their test on the day he handed them back because they were not there. This was one of six times in the last 40 years of teaching he could remember that happening. He went on and on about how that caliber of student just doesn’t miss class. You wanna know what I was thinking “oh man, I wish I could have been that person, the kid who doesn’t even come to class and stiffs the teacher by not even picking up his/her 100% test” now all I can think is “I don’t want to be that 100% student that fails for not showing up to the final.” I quickly dropped off the test and while I was there asked the assistant to look up my teachers office location. I ran to his office just as he was leaving and started out by saying “I’ve done a very bad thing” he replied “oh, not you mr. nelson” as he chuckled. “uhmm, I have no good excuses, I just totally spaced the final at 11:30 today”, he replied “no you didn’t, the final was at 1:30, that’s when you missed it.” I just sat and smiled as he laughed at his own joke. “What should I do, what should I do?” he exclaimed. I, in a playful tone, asked him how many of his students that got 100’s on their exams don’t show up for their final… ha- ha-… ha?
“mr. nelson, mr. nelson, your one of my good students, and for my good student there is always redemption, if you would have just told me you had a family emergency then I would have told you not to worry about it and given you an A, but since you’re here, just take this exam and have it under my door before I get here tomorrow. Don’t worry; you have no reason to think you will get less than an A.” I decide this is a very good time to kiss butt again “Oh, thank you, you really are one best teachers I’ve had,” “well mr. nelson in my mind respect goes a long way. Good luck on the rest of your finals, I’m heading home, I don’t care when you do, or how long you take, just get it under my door by tomorrow morning.” And that was that, I left the building with my final in hand, and great confidence that Tara would no longer murder me and feed me to Oliver.
sounds like a pretty nice teacher. I hope he doesn't read your blog and find out that your real intentions were to kiss butt the whole time. Unless you were being serious and all the stuff you said was true...then that would be okay. I hope you did well!
ReplyDeleteAnd, by the freaking way, what is UP with you being able to take exams on a scantron? I have never once in my entire college career been given a test on a scantron. I would cry with joy if I was.
I would expect nothing less of you, Addy. The best student part, the kissing-butt part, the forgetting about the final part...I'm sure you got an A. :) I've mentioned before that I'm going to hire you to do my future house and yard, right? I just want to make sure I've put in my request early...
ReplyDeleteAdam, I can't believe your language? I'm telling the bishop...
ReplyDelete