Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sharing secrets



About two weeks ago Frank Warren from Post Secret came to Utah State University. Frank is the creator of Post Secret, a blog where strangers mail their secrets to him anonymously on a post card. This idea fascinated me and I have been following his blog and reading people’s secrets for years now, and I believe my fascination goes back to my love for literature and writing—it enlightens me and connects me to the lives and thoughts of others. Adam and I weren’t really sure what to expect.

He began his short presentation by introducing himself, “Hi, my name is Frank Warren and I collect secrets.”

He told us the story of how Post Secret began, and his desire to connect with others in the world. The secrets range in topics from falling in love to deep seeded problems to suicide to admiration, and throughout it all Frank can still see the good in people. He kept saying that sharing our secrets can create a bond with another human being whom you would have never met or understood previously.

I believe Post Secret helps a lot of people but I felt that the sense of relief these people were feeling is taking the place of religion or faith. I never thought Frank Warren and Post Secret would make me so grateful for the life I have, my church, and my beliefs.


At the end of the presentation, Frank invited people from the audience to share their secrets and many did. One girl spoke about her guilt over a friend who committed suicide and it brought me to tears. I was impressed by her courage but once again, I wanted to run up to her and tell her that I have dealt with suicide and the only thing that brought me through those dark moments was my faith. All in all it was a very interesting and rare moment to hear Frank and other speak of secrets out in the open with this overwhelming trust in those in attendance. Here is a video Frank shared... I didn’t want to post the actual video because it has a few images that are a little risque, but it’s an amazing video that will move you. Enjoy!

PS. Frank challenged us to share our secrets as a way to set ourselves free, and as people shared their secrets Adam leaned over and told me that he too would like to tell a secret, actually two. He said that he would like to get up and tell everyone that he had lied about me being a student so I could get a free ticket, and then how he lied about being with the press so we could sit on the front row. Needless to say, I didn't let him set himself free.

7 comments:

  1. I had never heard of post secret, until this post, but what an interesting and neat idea. The presentation sounded so fascinating and I watched the movie and it gave me chills. Thanks for posting about this--I just think it is such a unique idea and great way for people to get secrets off their chest. By the way, we are sorry we missed Easter in Logan and the manhunt! It sounded like tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love PostSecret. Check it every week! That's so fun that you could go and see that, but I have to agree with you. I always feel like emailing people and saying, Boy, have I got some great news to share!

    If nothing else, it makes me so grateful for our values and life! :)

    Nice choice in silencing Addy... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fascinating. I just watched the video and it was pretty intense. I think the secrets that we hold reveal a lot about who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for new websites to check out! Thanks for bringing this gem to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am your crazy neighbor downstairs, and it's 1AM and I can't sleep!!! cool huh. Reading bloggs is a great way to relax my mind. That's cool you guys went to that... I remember you mentioning it to me... I love insightful things like that. They help you see life in a different perspective and reminds me that everyone is special and very individual.. you never know what's going on in people's lives! By the way, you are a great writer! wish I was :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is a reminder of why we are such great friends:) The majority of your blog entries make me compelled to laugh out loud, and I mean hard. I'm really proud to call you friends. Thanks guys.

    ReplyDelete