Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Tara's Reading Treat - The Bonus Project

Before Tara came home on Monday I told her that I had made a special treat for when we read together. Tara thought she was getting something to eat while we read, but I had much loftier goals.

Side note: I recently started and stopped reading again. The last time I read for fun was before my mission- don’t judge me for not enjoying my mission readings. I read the entire book, Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card, in one week. It was fantastic. I couldn't put it down, but at the end of it all I realized something. I realized that I wasted a lot of time investing myself emotionally in a world that was all made-up. When it was all over I was depressed because this imaginary world that I had infiltrated had suddenly come to an end, nonetheless a glorious glorious end. In two parallel thoughts I realized I had wasted many hours to come to the conclusion that the only way to continue to enjoy reading would be to, well, continue to read, but that would inevitably lead me down a path again where I would once again question the cost/benefit ratio of reading and thus take away all the enjoyment. So I am formally announcing that I am giving up reading. Don't ask Tara for her take on this. She was upset at the fact that I had even said it. I thought I would fight fire with fire by writing it down... I know, genius.

I'm just going to stick to building crap.

I call this the bonus project because I already had most of the stuff for it. About six months ago I picked up a pair of sconces at a Down East tent sale for $8. With the combination of the extra wall paper I knew that I was more than half way to a finished project. The wall façade project took about two and a half days- this project took about two and a half hours.

After a quick trip to the hardware store for some cheap extension cords, white Styrofoam (no painting needed thank you very much), and a couple of lamp rotary switches I was ready to go.

some refrence lines and spray mount adhesive get this project started.


After mounting the hardware it was time to wire everything up. This included four sacrificial extension cords and two lamp rotary switches. The switched are atually in the front corners of the side tables, wicked cool, I'll get some pics on here later of them.



all we need now is some rice paper to make a couple of diffusers. I will try and get a couple of pics posted when its all done.

7 comments:

  1. Can you come decorate our room? I'll pay you lots of monies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, you might have redeemed yourself for that whole "giving up reading". i say might, because i haven't decided yet. :) HOWEVER, i just love it, as usual. light is so important! for some reason our bedroom and the family room (ie the only room besides the kitchen where people can congregate) isn't wired for a main light. we have to rely on lamps, and let me tell you, it's ridiculous. so i really appreciate the extra light!

    oh, and love the bench!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. it will also come in handy for those late night feedings. i wonder, can you make them dim? cause THAT would be fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I really want to know is, who cleaned that room? And who made that bed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what to be impressed about - your awesome room, or your cleaning capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That room is GORGEOUS. Please come decorate our house!!

    ReplyDelete